Veterans Education Benefits

Veterans Education Benefits

Veterans Education Benefits

Allied American University - An Education That Honors Your Experience

You have walked the path of military bravery, and Allied American University (AAU) is grateful for your sacrifice. As a veteran, you may have certain benefits that can help you earn your degree. Through the Department of Veterans Affairs, you can apply for a variety of tuition assistance education benefit programs to help you pay for your education and put you on the path toward a bright future.

With AAU, you can put these education benefits to work for you through a comprehensive offering of degree programs. Your courses are designed to be flexible and available when you are. If you’re ready to honor the decision to earn your degree, AAU is ready to make it possible.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. An honorable discharge is an eligibility requirement for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

  • Provides up to 36 months of education benefits
  • Benefits are generally payable for 15 years following the release from active duty
  • The bill is effective for training - approved training under this bill includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, and vocational technical training
  • The bill will pay your tuition based upon the highest in-state tuition charged by a public educational institution in the state where the school is located
  • An annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment
  • Beginning October 1, 2011, students attending 100% of their courses online will be eligible for a monthly living stipend equal to half of the stipend they would receive for being enrolled in campus based courses

Montgomery GI Bill

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) - Chapter 1606

The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and Air National Guard. MGIB-SR provides up to 36 months of education benefits and your eligibility for the program normally ends on the day you leave the Selected Reserve. In order to get approved for MGIB-SR you must first obtain DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). Your unit will provide DD Form 2384-1 when you become eligible for the program.


To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation. For some types of training, it is necessary to have a six-year commitment that begins after September 30, 1990;
  • Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT);
  • Meet the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT. You may not use 12 hours toward a college degree to meet this requirement;
  • Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit. You will also retain MGIB - SR eligibility if you were discharged from Selected Reserve service due to a disability that was not caused by misconduct. Your eligibility period may be extended if you are ordered to active duty.

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) - Chapter 30

The Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) provides up to 36 months of education benefits that can be used for degree or certificate programs, such as for college, technical or vocational courses. Benefits are typically payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. The program is also known as Chapter 30.

You may be an eligible veteran if you:

  • Entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985
  • Received a high school diploma or equivalent (or, in some cases, 12 hours of college credit) before the end of your first obligated period of service
  • Received an honorable discharge
  • Continuously served for 3 years, OR 2 years if that is what you first enlisted for, OR 2 years if you have an obligation to serve for four years in the Selected Reserve AND entered Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty

The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, and if the Department of Defense put extra money in your MGIB Fund "kickers." You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be less, in some cases, and longer under certain circumstances.

Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP)

REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.


Eligibility will be determined by the Department of Defense (DoD) or Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as appropriate. Generally, a member of a reserve component who serves on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 under title 10, U.S.C., for at least 90 consecutive days under a contingency operation is eligible for REAP.

National Guard members are eligible if their active duty service extends for 90 consecutive days or more and their service is:

  • Authorized under section 502(f), title 32, U.S.C.,
  • Authorized by the President or Secretary of Defense for a national emergency, and
  • Supported by federal funds.

Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA)

The Dependents’ Educational Assistance program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits, which may be used for degree or certificate programs, apprenticeship and on-the-job training. Spouses may take correspondence courses.

You may be eligible if the Veteran is found by United States Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) to be totally and permanently disabled from a service-related disability, OR died because of a service-related disability and you meet one of the following conditions:

  • You are married to the Veteran
  • You are the deceased Veteran’s surviving spouse, and you haven’t remarried
  • You are the Veteran’s child and you’re at least 18 years old

Eligible persons can receive up to 45 months of full-time or equivalent benefits for:

  • College, business, technical or vocational courses, high school diploma or GED, independent study or distance learning courses
  • Correspondence courses (spouses only), apprenticeship/on-the-job training
  • remedial, deficiency, and refresher training (in some cases)
  • The cost of tests for licenses or certifications needed to get, keep, or advance in a job

Sons or daughters who wish to receive benefits for attending school or job training must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In some cases, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage is not a bar to this benefit.

For spouses, benefits end 10 years from the date the Veterans Administration finds you eligible or from the date of death of the veteran. If the VA rated the veteran permanently and totally disabled with an effective date of 3 years from discharge a spouse will remain eligible for 20 years from the effective date of the rating.

Call (888) 384-0849 to speak with an AAU Admissions Representative.


How to Apply Veterans Benefits

Discover how to use your VA benefits toward a college education. See how much you qualify for through the department of veteran affairs.

Veterans Corner

After serving your country, you want to re-focus on your career. At Allied American University, we know what veterans need from their education: flexible, convenient and in-demand programs.

Veterans Forum

See what students are talking about on the AAU Veterans Forum