Military Spouse Benefits

MyCAA Military Spouse and Dependents

Military Spouse Benefits

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)

AAU is your military friendly school and we proudly support the educational goals of active duty service members and spouses.

The Defense Department’s MyCAA program will:

  • Be available to spouses of active duty service members in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2.
  • Offer a maximum financial benefit of $4,000 with a fiscal year cap of $2,000. Waivers will be available for spouses pursuing licensure or certification up to the total maximum assistance of $4,000.
  • Require military spouses to finish their program of study within three years from the start date of the first course.
  • Be limited to associate degrees, certification and licensures.

Whether you need assistance maximizing your open MyCAA account or simply want assistance mapping out your career path, AAU is here to help you succeed.

Call 888-384-0849 today to speak with a helpful student services representative.

MyCAA Program Description

The Department of Defense’s expanded Military Spouse Employment Opportunities Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program provides Financial Assistance to spouses of active-duty service members who are interested in pursuing associate degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment opportunities in high growth, high demand portable employment opportunities fields.

MyCAA Program Sponsor

Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Military Community & Family Policy (DUSD/MC&FP)

Who Is Eligible?

  • Spouses of active duty service members in pay grades E-1-E-5, W1-W2 and O1-O2
  • Spouses of active Reserve and Guard members with the ranks mentioned above
  • Spouses of Reserve and Guard members must be able to start and complete their courses while their sponsor is on Title 10 orders

What Does MyCAA Cover?

MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) pays for expenses such as secondary and post-secondary education and training programs, tuition and licensing fees. This includes degree programs, continuing education classes (including those offered through professional associations at conferences), Bar, CPA and other similar exams, state certifications for teachers, medical professionals and similar licensed professionals.

MyCAA does not pay for computers, school application fees, graduation fees, student activity cards, child care, parking, transportation, or medical services. NOTE: If the cost of a course includes books, supplies or other necessary equipment, MyCAA will cover that cost. Payments are made directly to schools using MyCAA’s electronic payment system.

How MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) Works:

A military spouse can apply for MyCAA Financial Assistance after completing a MyCAA Career and Training Plan.

  • A Career and Training Plan includes the spouse’s career field, name of school and courses chosen by the spouse. Courses may be added to a MyCAA Career and Training Plan at any time.
  • Financial Assistance (FA) Requests for courses in the Career and Training Plan are made each time a spouse is ready to enroll in those courses at his/her school. Requests must be submitted via the MyCAA account system prior to the start date of each course.
  • Financial Assistance requests must have correct school names, course codes, titles of courses, start/end dates and course costs. Otherwise, they risk being rejected.
  • Financial Assistance requests may be cancelled or edited up to ten days prior to the start of a course or program. FA requests guarantee to the school that MyCAA will pay for the spouse’s seat in the course (classroom or online) that is being held.

How to Get Started:

Eligible spouses who are ready to explore portable careers options and develop a career goal and plan should establish a MyCAA Account by visiting the MyCAA website at

This is an easy, self-help process. Once spouse profile information is provided, DoD will verify MyCAA eligibility through DEERS.

Who Can Help Spouses?

Military spouses can help themselves:

School Academic Advisors can help spouses:

  • Choose a program, licensing and certification exams, a major or course of study.
  • Select classes for their MyCAA Career and Training Plan. Be sure to get correct school name, course codes, titles of courses, start/end dates and course costs from the school to avoid having FA requests be rejected.

Military OneSource Career/Education Consultants (1-800-342-9647) can help spouses:

  • Explore career interests and look at school options.
  • Develop Career and Training Plans.

Who Can Help Schools Register for MyCAA?

Schools that need MyCAA program information or want to participate in the MyCAA AI Portal electronic billing process may request assistance from

Call (888) 384-0849 to speak with an AAU Admissions Representative.