Military FAQs

Military FAQs

Military Education & Benefits FAQs

Allied American University has provided a list of commonly-asked questions for our military students below. If you don’t see what you’re looking for and need further assistance, please contact us at (888) 384-0489 to speak with a helpful military admissions representative.

Q. How does AAU help military students?

AAU is truly student centered; personalized support from our Program Success Advocates (PSA) is tailored to help you achieve your goals. After enrollment, you’ll be assigned one academic progress advisor that will be with you throughout the duration of your program.

AAU realizes that not everyone wants to wait for a group start time. Obligations such as deployment or training may prevent you from participating in pre-scheduled meeting and class activities. That’s why AAU offers monthly start dates - you can begin your education on your terms and progress at a pace that fits your life.

Other benefits to the military student include: • 100% online education • 24/7 access • 8-week courses • Our staff and faculty have prior military experience • One-on-one support • Education for emerging markets

Q. What are the benefits of a DEAC accredited school?

One of the main goals of a DEAC accredited school is to provide effective "military friendly" education solutions for service members worldwide. Academic programs delivered through distance education enable you to advance your academic goals, even while in active military service. With distance learning, you receive the flexibility, quality and value you need from your education.

Some of the benefits of enrolling in a DEAC accredited school:

  • Courses are offered on a 24/7 basis, allowing you the opportunity to learn and even earn a college degree from almost anywhere in the world without having to set foot on a campus.
  • DEAC distance learning programs are affordable. In many cases, your entire tuition costs may be covered through various military benefit programs when you attend a DEAC accredited school.
  • DEAC courses and programs are also an excellent fit for students with restricted mobility, disability, geographic limitations, and family responsibilities.

As a DEAC accredited school, AAU has been examined and found to meet the educational and business ethics standards set by the Accrediting Commission, an independent Commission which has been listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a "nationally recognized accrediting agency." (Source: DEAC)

Q. Does AAU accept Military Tuition Assistance?

Yes, AAU is proud to accept Military Tuition Assistance and help the men and women who serve this country further their education. We service all branches of the military - whether you are on active-duty status in the Marines, Navy, Air Force, National Guard or Army Reserve, you can use Military Tuition Assistance to pay for your university education.

Depending on your branch, you will have specific criteria for eligibility, service, the application process as well as restrictions. The money for your tuition will usually be paid directly to the college or university from the service branch. Contact us at (888) 384-0849 to learn more about using your Military Tuition Assistance benefits at AAU.

Q. How do I get the Tuition Assistance process started?

Your first step is to call us at 888-384-0849; you’ll be contacted by an admissions representative to guide you through your Tuition Assistance paperwork. We’ll take you step-by-step through the process, helping you submit the correct paperwork to your service branch’s education office.

Q. Can I receive credit for my military training and education?

Yes, you can - you must, however, provide AAU with documentation so that we can properly evaluate your previous military training and education. You’ll need to forward your official transcripts for evaluation.

AAU will accept credits earned from: AARTS, CCAF, SMART, CGI, Allied Business Schools and other colleges or universities. Additionally, AAU will consider accepting credits earned from: PEP, AP, CLEP, DSST, and industry and military certifications. AAU’s registrar will carefully evaluate your transcripts to determine credits that may be applied toward your degree plan.

Q. How much credit can I receive for my military training and education?

As an AAU student, you can receive up to 75% credit for your military training or previous education - meaning you can start your AAU education with a jumpstart on your associate or bachelor’s degree.

Associate degrees require the completion of at least 60 credit hours; bachelor’s degrees require the completion of at least 120 credit hours. By applying your military training and previous education to AAU, you can accelerate the amount of time it takes to complete your degree.

Q. How do I transfer my military training or education credits?

Complete your application requirements with an admissions representative and then submit your transcripts directly from the institution or military branch where the credit was earned. An unofficial transcript may be used in the interim to facilitate credit evaluation. Official transcripts must be submitted before the end of the first semester.

At AAU, transferrable credits are determined using the AutoDP credit evaluation system. AAU determines the applicable traditional and non-traditional college credits, such as national college credit-by-examinations, CLEP and DSST.

Based on your official transcript, an assessment will be generated listing all of the coursework or experience that is transferrable. This assessment is used to generate a formal Degree Plan. Click here to learn more about military transcripts.

Q. Can I use my VA benefits?

Yes, you can use your VA benefits to cover the costs of your education at AAU, but you must pay for your course tuition in full at the time of registration. You will be reimbursed directly by your regional VA office. Admission representatives are available to assist you with your tuition benefits and help complete the proper paperwork.

You can get the forms you need from your regional VA office, most active duty military stations, and American embassies worldwide. The main application form is the VA Application for Benefits (22-1990). Note: if you have used VA benefits at another school, you must submit a completed Request for Change in Program or Place of Training form (22-1995). You can get the forms you need from your regional VA office, most active duty.

Q. What if I get deployed and cannot finish my course?

If you’re in the military and your unit is suddenly deployed, please contact Allied American University and let your academic progress advisor know about your new status. We’ll contact your Education Service Officer (ESO) and inform him/her that you’re on a "deployed status" for the time being. When your deployment ends, you will be able to resume your studies.

Q. What is the military tuition rate?

At AAU, the military tuition rate is $250 per semester hour, or $750 per three-credit course (Military Tuition Assistance applies). There are no hidden costs - AAU does not charge extra for transcript evaluation, application, technology, graduation, and other typical university costs. Additionally, a Textbook Grant covers the cost of textbooks. In fact, for active-duty and veteran students, textbooks and course materials are provided by the AAU textbook grant program.

The main application form is the VA Application for Benefits (22-1990). Note: if you have used VA benefits at another school, you must submit a completed Request for Change in Program or Place of Training form (22-1995).

You may also apply directly for benefits through a convenient portal called VONAPP (Veterans Online Application). Here you will find VA applications forms and information for the various educational benefits available to you and apply for them online.

Q. Who do I contact if I want to dispute a VA overpayment?

If you believe you are not receiving the correct amount of VA education benefit money each month you can contact the VA regional processing office at 888-442-4551 to get a detail of the payment breakdown.

Q. I believe the VA has my old mailing address and is sending my benefit payments to the wrong address, what do I do?

You will need to update the VA with your correct mailing address. You can call the VA at 888-442-4551 to find out how to update your address with the VA.

Q. The VA is telling me that I will not be paid benefits because the school reported that I was using DoD tuition assistance, what do I do?

Combining VA education benefits and DoD tuition assistance is not always permitted. It can vary case by case. In cases where DoD tuition assistance is being used in conjunction with VA education benefits it is best to call the VA at 888-442-4551 and discuss your situation with a VA education representative.

Q. Can I use my benefits while on active duty orders?

Generally speaking you are NOT allowed to use VA education benefits while on active duty orders. The school is required to report when a student is using benefits while on active duty. Failure to notify the VA and the school when a soldier using VA education benefits is on active duty can result in overpayments and suspension of benefits.

Q. How long will it take to receive my benefit payments?

Generally speaking the VA pays benefits on a monthly basis. In order for a VA education benefit payment to be processed the veteran must verify his/her attendance at the end of each month. The payment should be sent out the second week of the following month. For example, a veteran would verify his/her attendance for the month of July on the last calendar day of July. The payment would be processed and sent out the second week of August.

Q. How much VA education benefit money will I receive each month?

How much benefit each veteran will receive each month can vary based on the benefit program you are approved for, the contributions you made to the GI Bill fund, whether you signed up for a "kicker" payment, and what percentage level of entitlement the Veteran was approved at. To get a more accurate assessment of how much benefit money you will receive please contact the VA directly at 888-442-4551.

Q. I am receiving my monthly benefit payments but I don’t think I am receiving my kicker payment and I should be, what do I do?

You will want to contact the VA education office at 888-442-4551 to make sure they have your kicker paperwork on file and are aware you are eligible for the kicker. Kicker eligibility is listed in your service contract. You cannot get a kicker unless it is in your service contract.

Q. What is the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill was created to provide financial support for education and housing to those with a minimum of 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001. The bill also applies to those who were honorably discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.

Benefits from the Post-9/11 GI Bill are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009. These benefits allow service members and veterans to attend education and training programs from accredited colleges or universities. The benefit payments of this bill are tiered based on the amount of creditable active-duty service the service member or veteran has had since September 10, 2001.

For veterans who are eligible, the VA will pay tuition and fees payments directly to the school you are attending. The tuition and fees rates at a state college or university will cover up to the full amount based on the number of months of active service since September 11, 2001.

Call (888) 384-0849 to speak with an AAU Admissions Representative.